What it Means to be a Girl

So, if you are anything like me, you LOVE Superbowl Sunday!  There are so many reasons that this is a favorite of mine, very few have to do with the actual game (since I detest most of professional football - bring on a college game anytime!).


I love that we are normally surrounded by friends and family.  For years now we have had the same crew together for the Superbowl. The kids have grown up playing Superbowl BINGO and winning strange little prizes that I think are funny (which of course means the kids think they are lame :). 


We eat wonderful food fixed by some of the best cooks I know.  YUMMY!


And lets not forget the ads.  I have always loved to watch and critique advertisements (which came in handy as a Marketing and PR major and Film and Video minor back in the day).  This year was no exception.




I sat all night not very interested in the actual game, although it was one of the best in recent memory.  I had a hard time putting my heart behind either team, so that made it harder yet to watch.  But the ads were what I was waiting for. Although most had been released already on the internet, I held out.  Wanting to experience them for the first time during the 'big game'. 


Overall, I was less than thrilled.  Nothing that made me laugh out loud, in fact most left me with a lump in my throat and heartstrings that were aching. Especially when Always asked several individuals to 'run like a girl'.  What a sad commentary that was on the thinking of the American public.  We have come so far, but we have so far yet to go, obviously.  Yet, the shining moment came when the young girls were asked what it meant to 'run like a girl' and the young miss Jessica said, "to run as fast as you can".  She gets it! 


Always claims that the shift from confidence to doubt and self-consciousness comes with puberty.  If that is true, how do we combat it?  We can't stop puberty.




The one thing we can do is teach our girls that being a girl does not make you a damsel, it makes you a heroine.  Being a girl does not make you weak, it gives you power.  Being a girl does not make you frail, it makes you strong.  After all, God would not have entrusted pregnancy and the birth process to the feeble or the weak.




These are the things I want my daughters to remember and what I want each of my GEMS girls to know.  God loved you so much, he made created you to be a girl.  You don't need to hide behind that mask of weakness, let them see your strength.  Because any boy that can't handle a strong, self confident, independent woman, isn't worth having.




So, stand up ladies and tell your daughters they are beautiful, they are strong and they are loved for being EXACLTY who they are. So that the next time someone says 'you throw like a girl' you can say "Thank you! I take that as a compliment!"

Comments

Popular Posts