Personal Mission Statement


Writing a Personal Mission Statement has proven more difficult than I first imagined.  I honestly thought I could just ‘bang this out a minute and check it off the 50 list’.  Not so much!

So, back to the beginning I went.  Searching the web for some inspiration and help on personal mission statements, I found tip after tip.  First and foremost, take time with the process (another strike against my fast and furious theory).  The first step, I am told, is taking to paper and pen and pondering some questions about one’s self.  So, I grabbed my trusty notebook and got ready to ponder (okay, I am not really much for pondering…. too slow…. strike two).  But, I can certainly answer some questions… onward!

Questions ranging from ‘What do you really love to do in your personal life?’ to ‘What do you consider your biggest contribution to the world?’ to ‘What do you want it to say on your tombstone?’ (Great!  there is that death theme again… strike three??? … already…) At this point, I could choose to give up and find something else to put in the #46 spot or I could push forward.  Nope, I will persevere!

Okay, so the list of answers is complete onto step two. Let your mind wander around the answers (at least this process has let me know what I am REALLY bad at…).  List other quotes or sayings that are meaningful or important to you.  That, I got!!  Woohoo!!

Finally, start picking out the phrases, words or ideas that are constant themes and begin weaving them together.  This is not an exact process, more of a trial and error.  You will know when things feel right to you.  Just keep playing.  After all, it is a work in progress today and every day after.

After much deliberation and several attempts, here is my first personal mission statement:

I was created by a loving God to serve, love and forgive unconditionally.  I desire to live a life of faith and to be an example in words, deeds and thoughts.  I desire to see the positive in every situation, pray continually, bath in God’s word daily and dispense encouragement and grace at every opportunity.  I desire to live every day with joy and contentment.  I desire to be exactly who God has created me to be; wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt… and princess.





Comments

Popular Posts